Sunday, March 17, 2013

Homemade Dog Food

This post really has nothing to do with saving money and more to do with heath. My bigger dog the french bulldog has a lot of issues with food he seems to be allergic to every commercial dog food that I have tried even the good brands (Nutro Ultra, Blue buffalo, etc...) After eating, his paws turn red and he starts licking them like crazy until they get really irritated. After striking out on 6 plus brands I have decided I am going to try to make my own dog food and see how that turns out.


Here is the recipe I am going to use, I will put approx. cost next to the item if anyone cares.

This will make 20 cups which is enough for my two guys (French Bulldog and Mini Dachshund)

-12 cups water
-2 pounds ground or diced meat (I got chicken but it can be any or whatever is cheapest) $3
-4 cups of brown rice $2
-1 (16 oz) package of mixed veggies thrown in food processor $1
-2 eggs with shells ground in coffee grinder (for calcium) .25 cents

PLUS 1 dog multivitamin a day approx 5 dollars a month or 1 dollar a week

Total cost is $7.25 a week which is close to a dollar a day or about $30 dollars a month, we have been paying 55 dollars for a 30 pound bag that lasts us about a month and a half so really is is quite close in cost.

As I said be before though it is really more of a health thing than I money thing.

I will update you later how or if this worked for use. I plan on starting sometime at the end of this week when the bag of food we have runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment